Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Game Time: I'm Telling! (1987)

It can be said that NBC was ahead of the curve when it came to transitioning their Saturday morning programming toward a live-action-centric schedule. I'm Telling! was the network's 1st Saturday morning game since Runaround in 1972. Actor Laurie Faso (ex-Marlo & the Magic Movie Machine) served as host for this series, produced by DIC & Saban. Here's a sample, courtesy of YouTube:



Predictably, I'm Telling! was cancelled after 1 season, but found a new life on cable, as the Family Channel (now ABC Family) picked up the series on 3 different occasions. The premise was based in part on Chuck Barris' legendary Newlywed Game, only done with brothers & sisters. What killed the show was its time slot. Airing around lunch time, it ran into the predictable affiliate indifference. I actually got to see bits & pieces when I'm Telling! was rerun on cable in the 90's. Good game, bad time slot. That's all I can say.

Rating: B.

No comments: