Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Toon Sports: Hurricanes (1993)

In the 1990's, independent distributor Bohbot Entertainment entered into an agreement with DIC, among others, to distribute animated programs under the umbrella title, Amazing Adventures. The anthology block would run for either 1 or 2 hours, depending on the market and the air time (either on Saturday or Sunday). Bohbot would later form the Bohbot Kids Network, which had series placed in syndication and on cable later in the decade.

One such entry from DIC & Bohbot was Hurricanes, about a traveling soccer team which had one steady opponent, the Gorgons, who were run by an unsavory fellow named Stavros. The series even aired on ESPN2, if you can believe it (and I can; I actually saw it in the television listings once or twice).

Here's the open:



Hurricanes managed to last 4 years, but to my knowledge, I don't think it lasted that long in my area, and ESPN gave up on the show fairly quickly as well. Cookie Jar Entertainment, which bought out DIC last year, has no current plans to release the series on DVD. Their loss.

No fair rating, as I never saw the show.

2 comments:

magicdog said...

I remember this show - caught only one or two eps. It wasn't all that great; The HUrricanes w3ere like the U.N. a mix of players from just about every soccer loving country and every one of them just so cliche! The French player, the German twins, the Italian, the Jamaican, etc. I think they made room for at least one American player.

Naturally Stavros and his Gorgons were Eeeevil and poor sports that had to be defeated. I didn't realize the show lasted four years in syndication, I thought it barely lasted one!!

hobbyfan said...

Stunned me, too. Then again, I mostly remember it being on one of the ESPN channels, as I'd noted.