Thursday, June 28, 2012

Saturday Morning's Greatest Hits: Thin Line Between Love & Hate (1972)

To be honest with you, pilgrims, when I first heard the song, "Thin Line Between Love & Hate", it wasn't the Persuaders, whom we'll see in a moment, but rather, the Pretenders, off their 1983 album, "Learning to Crawl". I didn't even know about the earlier version until I ran across one of those Time-Life infomercials the other week.

While Pretenders vocalist Chrissie Hynde put her own spin on "Thin Line", let's go back 11 years before to 1972, and the Persuaders' appearance on Soul Train, introduced, of course, by the late Don Cornelius.

2 comments:

magicdog said...

Apparently we were both watching MTV at the same time, as I too hadn't heard the original version of "Thin Line...", but was familiar with The Pretenders' version.

I remember liking the remake, but there's much to be said for the original.

hobbyfan said...

I'll do you one better. I had "Learning to Crawl" on cassette, and maybe I still do. Have to check my cassette collection.

You have to understand that while Soul Train was accessible to me back in the day, I couldn't watch it since my late father was controlling the set at that hour on a Saturday afternoon, and I was usually out playing with the neighbors......