Monday, July 23, 2012

Spiderversary: The Origin of Spider-Man (1968)

When ABC renewed Spider-Man for a 2nd season, they wound up getting a completely new look in terms of animation, though the voice cast remains the same. Ralph Bakshi moved over from Terrytoons to helm the series after Grantray-Lawrence lost the contract following season 1. Here, Bakshi offers a slightly different take on the webspinner's origin.



As we've documented previously, a more definitive rendition of the origin came 14 years later on Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends. Bakshi gave it the ol' college try, but came up a wee bit short.

Rating: B.

2 comments:

magicdog said...

One thing I always appreciated about Spidey (and many Marvel characters in general) was how Peter wasn't interested in being a superhero at first. He wanted to make money and be a star! That actually rings true with many people IRL.

I originally thought the Bakshi years came first because he was the one to do an origin episode, but as I know now that's not the case. I think despite not liking the Bakshi Spidey season, the origin ep isn't bad. It seems rather awkward though, perhaps due to the odd music cues and haphazard flashback scenes.

Plus, it's a riot seeing Peter in a modified crew cut! I know he probably looked like that in the comics at the time, but I'm so used to seeing him with more hair!

hobbyfan said...

I think Marvel was tired of Grantray-Lawrence and their cheap production values, so they changed studios, but kept the voice cast. Bakshi, I think, upgraded the quality of the product.