Thursday, December 6, 2012

Spiderversary: Mission: Save The Guardstar (1983)

Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends introduced a brand-new character in the season 3 episode, "Mission: Save The Guardstar", but unlike Firestar (Kathy Garver), who made the transition to comics, Lightwave didn't, and that's despite the fact that she was posited as the half-sister of Bobby Drake, aka Iceman (Frank Welker), which would have of course meant eventually joining the X-Men had she moved to the printed page. Unfortunately, Lightwave was never heard from again after this 1-shot tale.



Rating: B.

2 comments:

magicdog said...

I do remember this ep - if anything because it was the first time I got to see some superhero sibling bickering. Ever notice how many comics heroes are only children? Maybe it's just me.

I had honestly thought Lightwave existed in the comics (then again, I thought Firestar did too, though she got there eventually). I would not have minded seeing her again on the show.

I think this was also the last ep produced for this series.

hobbyfan said...

I'll have to check the records to see if you're right, Magicdog.

Few are the heroes who make the transition in reverse, from television to comics. Lightwave, sadly, wasn't one of them. Marvel really blew it.