Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Daytime Heroes: Bonkers (1993)

One of Disney's last entries in the Disney Afternoon block took viewers back to Toontown, which was the setting, of course, of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" a few short years earlier. Personally, I think Disney missed the boat by not doing a TV series with Roger, but that's another story.

Bonkers is a bobcat who's now a rookie police officer, and as rookies tend to do, he makes mistakes, which, in this case, usually end up being doozies. I never got the chance to watch the show, so I can't rate it. However, here's the intro:

4 comments:

magicdog said...

I found it heavily ironic that an animated show would do a series about a cartoon character working in the "real" world!

I didn't watch much of this show, and I agree a RR show might have been a better option. It could have been in a format like Looney Tunes or Tiny Tunes in which it would be a gaggle of "old, classic shorts" the were recently discovered in a vault and aired on TV for the first time. We could have had Roger, Baby Herman, and other characters in shorts with that right amount of that Tex Avery (or early Hanna Barbera) touch.

hobbyfan said...

Funny you should mention Tex Avery, as there is a scene where Bonkers' eyes pop out of their sockets, an old Avery routine.

I think part of the reason this show lasted only 2 years was because there was an unrelated candy by the same name that came out around the same time.......

AC said...

I know, I know -- people won't stop complaining about this show ... Well if it would have been about Roger Rabbit, I wouldn't still care about it up to this day. Yes, it's probably my favorite Disney "thing" of all. And if it's actually mediocre then it means, I'm a mediocre person myself, but I don't care. You love what you love and forget yourself over/about it.

hobbyfan said...

Who's complaining? Bonkers, it seems, wasn't given much of a fair shake despite 2 years on the air.