Friday, April 18, 2014

Animated World of DC Comics: Superman turns 75 (2013)

After showcasing a brand spankin' new Batman shortie that debuted on Cartoon Network to mark the Dark Knight's 75th anniversary, in the best interests of equal time, we are serving up Superman's 75th anniversary short, which bowed at Comic Con International in San Diego last summer, and, to my knowledge, hasn't aired on television, but should've. Then again, it's CN we're dealing with here.

Bruce Timm teamed with "Man of Steel" director Zack Snyder to take a panoramic view of the Man of Steel's visual evolution through the ages, even dealing with some comics events, including a temporary death (1993-4), being split into two people (Superman Blue & Red), and, well......!




7 levels of awesome, no?

Rating: A.

2 comments:

magicdog said...

I loved this!

Dare I say my heart skipped a beat when I saw Supes in the '73 Superfriends incarnation! Feelings of happiness overcame me when I saw the 90s DCAU version. I find that the definitive version of Superman as far as animation goes. Thanks Bruce Timm et al!

It was also nice to see all the other Supermen I was even fleetingly familiar with: The Fleisher cartoons, George Reeves' version (I didn't think they got Reeves' face quite right, but why nitpick?), Christopher Reeve's version, Smallville, all the way to Man Of Steel. A well done retrospective even for casual fans!

hobbyfan said...

I'd like to see them do something for Wonder Woman, whose 75th anniversary can't be too far away, to complete the Trinity trilogy.

I double dog dare Cartoon Network to run this now.