Friday, June 26, 2015

Tooniversary: The Harlem Globetrotters play a Pearl of a Game (1970)

The Harlem Globetrotters episode, "Pearl of a Game", is a perfect example of how the basketball team was plugged into Hanna-Barbera's Scooby-Doo formula of comedy-mysteries.

The 'Trotters first run afoul of a bumbling private detective named Bunyon (Don Messick), hired to guard one of the biggest pearls in the world, and mistakes Bobby Joe's basketball, recently painted white after an encounter with a traffic painter, for the pearl. More chaos follows.




Messick would recycle his voice for Bunyon many times over.

Rating: B.

2 comments:

magicdog said...

I'm guessing the Bunyan character was loosely based on the fictional detective, Miles Banyon. Interesting since that character got a TV series of his own two years after this toon aired!

I watched this when I was little but could remember very little about it except the Globetrotters, basketball, Dribbles and Granny. I had no recollection of the songs which were added during the basketball scenes. The credits mention Jeff Barry and Don Kirshner involvement - no surprise there. Speaking of the end credits, the illustrations look like the same work of the work done for the end credits of, "Where's Huddles". Must have been a thing at the time.

The adventures the Globetrotters had with Scooby Doo were far more memorable. Dribbles and Granny were MIA for them (I assume since Dribbles would have been canine competition for Scooby - only room for one comical dog!) but I give them credit for actually giving them an excuse - they were at a dog show!

I don't know if you've ever been to a Globetrotters game but if not I highly recommend it! Lots of fun. I remember attending Geese Osbey's farewell tour many years ago!

hobbyfan said...

I have not been to a Globetrotters game in 5 years. That's because the last time I went with my then-girlfriend, they went all WWE on us by giving the Generals an evil coach who cheated, creating a needless storyline where the 'Trotters prevailed anyway.

Granny & Dribbles were added to make the show more like Scooby-Doo, but were also missing for the Harlem Globetrotters Meet Snow White special. And, yeah, the artwork shown at the end of 'Trotters & Where's Huddles looks like the same crew. Might've been some Iwao Takamoto staff drawings.