Saturday, December 19, 2015

Toons You Might've Missed: The Fantastic Voyages of Sinbad the Sailor (1996)

More than 30 years after Sinbad, Jr.'s last voyage, Sinbad the Sailor was brought back to animated life, this time by producer Fred Wolf (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, James Bond, Jr., etc.).

The Fantastic Voyages of Sinbad the Sailor recast the hero as a teenager, much like the 60's series, but substituting a tiger cub for a parrot and adding a younger orphan boy as Sinbad's sidekick. Research tells us that the series aired on Cartoon Network, but after the channel was added to my cable system at the end of 1996, I have no memory of seeing this show at all. Some of you will be looking at this for the first time, as well.

Here's "The Curse of the Gorgon":




I liked the 60's Sinbad, Jr. shorts better, let's put it that way.

Rating: C.

4 comments:

Silverstar said...

1996, eh? I've honestly never heard of this cartoon. Not sure how it managed to slip by me; weird, since my household first received Cartoon Network in 1995, yet I don't even recall seeing so much as an ad for this. Sinbad must have languished in the non-peak viewing hour ghetto of weekend afternoons or something similar.

hobbyfan said...

Or it might not have aired on CN in the US.

Bhargav teja said...

Where can I find it

hobbyfan said...

Your guess is as good as mine.